Caring for your home

This section has been designed to provide you with useful information and advice to help you protect and care for your home. We all know that maintaining a home is a big responsibility and we hope that the information available in this section will help make it easier.  

For any specific questions or for further advice, either email our Repairs Centre on or call our Repairs Team on: 0800 328 2742.

This section gives guidance on the following topics:  

Condensation and Mould

We receive many calls each week from tenants reporting mould or condensation, and its associated problems. If you are experiencing condensation which leads to mould on furnishings and unventilated areas, there are a number of very useful steps you can take to alleviate the problem. In most cases the cause of the mould is due to excessive condensation and not with any structural fault or lack of repairs in the property.

The below video is a detailed guide on how to prevent and put a stop to this problem. 

You can also download our leaflet Controlling Condensation and Mould [pdf] 516KB that gives tips and advise to prevent condensation, reduce and remove mould. Controlling Condensation and mould ‚Äč

To control condensation remember these key points:

  • Reduce the amount of moisture in your home.
  • Improve ventilation.
  • Opening windows to circulate the air around your home to reduce moisture that causes condensation.
  • Reduce the number of cold areas in your home.
  • Maintain an adequate temperature.
  • Use your room stat to maintain a temperature no less than 12 degrees and not more than 21 degrees.

If you have followed the advice in the leaflet and video for six weeks and the problem does not improve, please call our Repairs Centre on: 0800 328 2742 or 01733 385030.

Pest control

We can help you with some pests but you need to do your bit too to help prevent infestations. 

Pest control

Pest control

The following lists show our responsibilities regarding different types of pests. 

We will arrange for the treatment free of charge 

We will only carry out one course of treatment

We will treat if there is an infestation

These pests are your responsibility to treat

Wasps nest

Bed bugs



Bees nest 













Please note: Bees are protected as they are an endangered species so our pest controller may not always be able to remove these for you. 


Solar panels

Solar panel guide cover
If your home has solar panels on the roof, these generate electrical power by converting the sun's rays, providing clean and green energy. These solar panels can be used to run your home's appliances and lighting. 

You can make the most out of your home's solar panels by stagger the use of high wattage appliances such as washing machines and kettles. For example, put your clothing in the washing machine in the morning, rather than on an evening. 

You can download and read our guide with more information regarding your solar panels -  Solar panel guide [pdf] 295KB

Your PV system requires no cleaning, very little maintenance and is monitored remotely by our installers. However, should you have a problem with the system or are concerned it is not working correctly please contact our installers on: 0800 852 1095 or 01228 267026, who will come out and undertake any necessary repairs or maintenance. 

Home contents insurance

Cross Keys Homes can help residents obtain home contents insurance easily and at a price that is affordable. While many people often hope that nothing will happen to their belongings, sometimes things can go wrong unexpectedly.

With a special scheme called My Home arranged in conjunction with the National Housing Federation, Cross Keys Homes’ residents can protect their belongings and gain peace of mind knowing if the unexpected happens they have cover.

Click on the My Home logo to find out more:  My Home contents insurance logo  
Or contact My Home direct for further information on: 0845 337 2463.

House keeping advice


It is the councils responsibility to empty The council is responsible for collecting rubbish waste and emptying wheelie bins. They will let you know if the collection day changes because of a Bank Holiday. If they do not empty your bin, you should report it to the council’s waste helpline.

Make sure you put all materials that can be recycled in the appropriate bins.
Some of our schemes provide shared recycling facilities. Please speak to your Neighbourhood Manager or Scheme Manager about this service.

You can also contact the council if you have bulky items you need to dispose of for example a fridge or a sofa. For information about these services, please contact the council’s Waste Management department.

Garages and Gardens

Some of our homes have a garage attached to them. If you have a garage, you should use this responsibly. Do not use it to store any furniture, valuable items, rubbish or dangerous substances or let anyone else do this.

You may want to build a garage. In this case, you will need to obtain a Home Improvements form which you can find here, you may also need planning permission.

You are responsible for keeping your garden tidy (grass, trees and shrubs), maintained and free from all rubbish particularly food which can attract vermin such as rats. If you do not keep your garden in a satisfactory condition, we will carry out the necessary work and charge you the full cost. We may even take court action in a severe case.

Please note: do not plant Leylandi or other large and/or fast growing trees as these can cause damage to the property and are very costly to keep trimmed and/or have removed.

Floors and carpets

Please do not use carpet tacks or nail fixing rods directly on to floor tiles as you are likely to damage the tiles and possibly the damp proof membrane. Take care when installing your own carpets and make sure that no nails or carpet tacks go through any pipe work under your floorboards.

It is your own responsibility to have doors adjusted (if needs be) after you have installed carpets or other floor coverings. Tiled floors should be cleaned regularly.

Do not use soda, caustic materials or harsh scouring compounds on the tiles as they may damage them. Laminate and solid flooring is only permitted in individual houses and ground floor flats. You will be responsible for the removal and reinstatement of the flooring if it needs to be lifted to carry out any repairs.

You will also need to ensure that you have household contents insurance to cover you for any damage that occurs (eg from water leaks). Cross Keys Homes will not accept any responsibility for laminate or wood flooring that you install. 

Controlling condensation and mould leaflet

My home insurance logo

My Home Insurance