Keeping your home safe
The safety of you and your family is our priority. We carry out regular safety checks but there are some things you can do to keep yourself safe in your home. Our safety in your home leaflet [pdf 337KB] provides some useful tips.
Gas and fire safety
We check the gas appliances in your home every 12 months. This is a legal requirement and you must allow our contractors, Mears, into your home to carry out this safety check. We only use Gas Safe registered installers when carrying out services or installations.
We'll send you a letter to let you know when the gas safety check will be carried out. If the date and time isn't convenient for you, just call Mears on: 0800 328 2742 and press ‘one’ for gas to rearrange.
If you smell gas, turn off the gas using the lever by your gas meter. Open all windows and doors, and DO NOT use any electrical equipment, switch lights on or off, smoke or ignite a naked flame. Leave your home immediately and alert your neighbours. You should then telephone the National Grid on 0800 111 999.
Knowing what to do in the event of a fire can save lives. Make sure you know where the exits are in your home or block of flats. For more information regarding fire safety and the procedure read the safety in your home leaflet.
The easiest way to protect yourself from fire is to have a working smoke alarm in your home. All our properties have hard-wired smoke alarms fitted. If your home doesn't have one or it isn't working, call our Repairs Centre on 01733 385030 to arrange an installation or repair.
This is produced by gas appliances that are incorrectly installed or maintained. Breathing in carbon monoxide can cause poisoning and even death. It's important to have a carbon monoxide detector in your home as it's a gas that you can't see or smell.
We're installing carbon monoxide detectors in all our homes. If one hasn't been installed in your home, it will be at your next electrical test. If you have any concerns regarding carbon monoxide, contact our Repairs Centre 01733 385030.
Having problems with your electrics? There are some things you can do to fix the problem yourself.
If your lights aren't working but your sockets are, then:
- check the lighting fuse or circuit breaker in the consumer unit (also known as a fuse box and normally found in your hallway)
- replace any blown fuses and/or re-set the circuit breaker
- call the Repairs Centre on 01733 385030 if the fuse blows or circuit breaker trips again.
Please note: circuit breakers are sensitive devices so if a bulb blows, the circuit breaker can trip. When replacing fuses, always switch off the electric and turn it back on once the fuse has been fitted.
If your sockets aren't working but your lights are, then:
- check the main fuse or circuit breaker in the consumer unit
- replace the blown fuse or re-set circuit breaker
- if the problem continues, unplug all appliances (kettle, toaster, fridge freezer, television etc.)
- repair the fuse or re-set the circuit breaker again
- plug in and switch on appliances individually until the electrical failure occurs again – this will identify the faulty appliance
- unplug the faulty appliance again, stop using it and re-set the circuit breaker.
If lights and sockets are both not working:
- check there are sufficient funds in the meter (if applicable)
- check with your neighbours to see if theirs are working
- if your neighbours have no electrical power, the problem is likely to be a power failure and you should contact the company who supplies your electricity or contact UK Power Networks on: 0800 783 8838.
If the problem still exists after you've carried out all of the above steps, call the Repairs Centre on 01733 385030.
We have a register of where asbestos is, or is assumed to be in your home. If you're planning home improvements or maintenance and you think you have asbestos in your home, always ask for our permission first. We'll check our records and advise if any asbestos is present. Contact us on 01733 385000.