Free, confidential support
Our Money Advice Service is here to help when you’re struggling with money matters.
It’s free, confidential and personalised to your needs.
We can help with:
- Managing Universal Credit
- Understanding and applying for benefits
- Debt management
- Budgeting and planning ahead
- Managing your rent account.
To talk to our friendly, experienced Money Adviser just login to MyCKH and complete our Money Advice Service form.
Rent arrears repayments
If you’re in rent arrears, you should contact us to make a payment agreement. This will stop us taking any further action against you, which might include you losing your home.
You can make us an offer to pay your rent arrears either weekly or monthly. You will need to fill in an offer of payment:Tenants arrears - repayment plan
Suggested amounts are included in the form but you can also offer a different amount that’s affordable to you. Once you’ve filled in the form, we’ll contact you within five working days to confirm whether we accept your offer.
StepChange Debt Charities benefits calculator is always updated with the latest information on benefit changes. Find out if you’re affected and check what you’re entitled to using their benefit calculator.
Did you know that Green Energy Switch offer an ofgem accredited free energy comparison service for people living in Peterborough?
You can either visit the Green Energy Switch website or give them a call on 01733 646253 to find out more. You can also request an energy visit at home if your local authority is Peterborough City Council.
The Energy Saving Trust website also offers advice on making savings to your energy bills.
Loan sharks charge extremely high interest rates, trapping their victims in a never-ending spiral of debt. Some can even resort to extreme methods to enforce their debt such as making threats, blackmail and violence.
How to spot a loan shark
Look out for a lender who:
- offers little or no paperwork. They might ask you to sign something but never give you a copy to keep you in the dark.
- will not tell you the interest rate or the amount that you owe. Illegal lenders have been known to charge up to 700,000% in interest.
- takes items as security, such as jewellery or even passports and bank cards.
- is intimidating, threatening or violent. If you’re in immediate danger, contact the police.
You can report an illegal lender in confidence. You won’t be in trouble if you’ve borrowed from a loan shark.
There are a number of independent organisations who can give you free, confidential advice about debt:
- National Debtline website - or call: 0808 808 4000
- Citizens Advice Bureau website - or call: 0844 4994 120
- StepChange Debt Charity – If you have a debt problem, don't struggle alone. Call: 0800 138 1111
- Peterborough City Council benefits team – call: 01733 747474, or visit Bayard Place, Broadway, Peterborough
- Inland Revenue Tax Credit helpline – call: 0845 300 3900.