Shaping the next generation through meaningful work experience | News & Events - Cross Keys Homes

Social media icons

    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Youtube

 

Shaping the next generation through meaningful work experience | News & Events

News and events

Here you can catch up on all the latest news from CKH. 

Our news archive contains all our past press releases. If you would like to see what we have communicated about in the past, please select the year and month from the drop-down menu to see that month’s press releases.

If you would like to find out more news from the housing sector, please visit the websites of the National Housing Federation (NHF) or TPAS (the Tenant Empowerment Organisation)

Shaping the next generation through meaningful work experience

Mears' apprentice Dylan, business admin

News story published on 19 November 2015

We are dedicated to developing the current generation of young people by giving them a better start and more opportunities in their work life, through a number of different training and apprenticeship programmes. 

Our pre-apprentice programme that was awarded ‘Highly Commended’ at the national 24 housing awards and is part funded by the Greater Cambridge, Greater Peterborough Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) Prize Challenge initiative, is still running, offering six months paid work placements for 16 – 24 year olds who are having trouble finding work or who are unsure what career to pursue.

The programme offers valuable work experience to young people who would otherwise find it hard to get into employment through the ‘catch 22’ situation of needing experience to gain experience. As part of the programme the pre-Apprentices also attend regular work clubs to help them when applying for permanent positions and helping them to utilise the skills they’ve learnt so far.  

Thanks to the programme, we've recently recruited a further five young people into our business and seven into partner organisations across the city in a wide range of roles from catering to administration to estate maintenance.

Pre-Apprentice Michelle Bark wasted no time at all landing herself a full time position at West Ham Primary School, only two months into her pre-apprenticeship.

The pre-apprentices have also had the fantastic opportunity to attend a three day first aid training course at City College Peterborough and gain an accreditation that lasts for three years, a desirable qualification sought after by many employers.

Alongside this programme, we also encourage our partners to take on apprentices. Dylan has begun his two year Business Admin Apprenticeship with our partner Mears. Dylan is studying a level 2 Business Admin at Peterborough City College and will progress to Level 3 upon completion. He said:

“I am thoroughly enjoying myself on this apprenticeship, I have been welcomed with open arms by everyone here. It’s a great environment to work in and I hope to progress my career further with Mears and Cross Keys Homes.”

Over the years, we have had the opportunity to help shape the lives of over 90 young people through our Apprenticeship programmes, 80% of these young people still in either employment, education or training. The remaining 20% still benefit from our continued support when seeking employment, education or training.

If you would like to find out more about the apprenticeship programmes offered by Cross Keys Homes and its partners, contact: 01733 385058 or email: community@crosskeyshomes.co.uk.