Property permissions

Property alterations Key ring with house

Under the terms of your lease you are obliged not to alter the exterior or interior of your home without first obtaining our written consent. This includes the installation of windows, doors and heating systems.

Should you wish to make an alteration to your property, please send us the specification of proposed works and details of your chosen contractor to:

Leaseholders team
Cross Keys Homes
Shrewsbury Avenue

Or email them through to:

If you are unsure whether or not you need permission to make alterations please call: 01733 385142.

Please note that any contractor carrying out gas work must be GasSafe Registered and NIC/EIC registered if carrying out electrical work. Copies of GasSafe and electrical test certificates will be requested if appropriate.

Front doors

Under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 we are obliged to ensure the safety of you and all residents within blocks of flats and maisonettes. To ensure all residents have the maximum opportunity to vacate their premises in the event of a fire, consent for replacement front doors will only be granted for type FD30S fire doors. FD30S fire doors are designed to give protection against fire and smoke for a minimum of 30 minutes. We will request to see the fire resistance certificate supplied with the door.

There are also restrictions regarding the type of door that can be fitted to cupboards opening into communal areas, especially those housing boilers.  For further information please call the Leasehold department on: 01733 385142.

Please note that PVCu doors are not suitable as front doors to flats that open into internal communal areas.

Your request will be considered and we will respond to you in writing.