Buy a share in your home and pay rent on the rest
Shared ownership lets you buy a home for less. It's an affordable route into home ownership – one which thousands of people across the country have already taken.
How it works
- You buy and own a share in your home (anything from 25%) and we'll charge you a modest rent on the rest.
- It still works out cheaper than buying a home outright.
- You don’t need a big deposit, as it’s based on the share you’re buying. And most mortgage providers only ask for a 5% deposit when buying through shared ownership.
- You can buy more shares later on – until you own your home 100% (we call this ‘staircasing up’).
- If you want to move on, you can sell your share for its market value at the time.
How it adds up – here's an example
- Full market value of the property = £175,000
- You buy a 40% share = £70,000
- You pay a 5% deposit = £3,500
- Monthly mortgage = £341*
- Monthly rental fee = £241
- Total monthly mortgage and rental fee = £582
* This example is based on a mortgage rate of 4.59% and a term of 30 years. Please note that rates, terms & criteria vary.