Buildings insurance

In most cases, we're responsible for arranging buildings insurance for your home (but not home contents insurance). For a small number of you, who perhaps have older leases, you'll need to arrange your own buildings insurance and provide evidence to us that a valid policy is in force.

If you're responsible for arranging your own buildings insurance, the following statements don't apply to you.

Insurance cover - summary of key areas

Buildings and permanent structures are insured against damage caused by fire, storm, flood, collision, malicious damage, subsidence, escape of water/frost damage. Cover is also provided for replacement locks if you lose your keys. If you make a claim, you might be charged an excess (up-front cost). 

General exclusions/limitations of cover

General wear and tear or damage occurring gradually is not covered. If your home is unoccupied for more than 90 days, a number of restrictions and policy conditions will apply. If this clause is likely to affect you, you should contact Zurich on: 0800 028 0336 for further details.

This is just a summary of cover and the exclusions that apply. You can ask us for a full copy of the insurance policy.

Making a claim

Our insurers, Zurich, require claims to be made as soon as an incident occurs. If you don't make your claim quickly, then cover might be restricted or your claim could be denied altogether.

In the event of an incident, call Zurich on: 0800 028 0336 as soon as possible with full details of the loss or damage. They will:

  • send you a claim form which must be completed and returned to Zurich within 14 days of the incident
  • arrange for the damage to be assessed and reach an agreement with you about what repairs or replacements are required.

You must not settle, reject, negotiate or agree to pay any claim or repair costs without permission from our insurance company.

Mortgage interest clause

We're unable to specifically mention individual mortgage providers because our policy insures many hundreds of properties at any one time. But our policy does include wording that's usually acceptable to your mortgage lender.

Contents insurance

For contents insurance, take a look at our recommended insurance provider.