Anti-social behaviour

Anti-social behaviour can have a big impact on the quality of life of individuals and communities. We want you to enjoy your home in peace, without disturbance from neighbours or others living nearby.

We work with the police and other agencies to offer help and support. And we take action if anti-social behaviour persists.

Download our full statement on anti-social behaviour. 

What is anti-social behaviour?

The Housing Act 1996 gives the following legal definition of behaviour which is not acceptable:


  • conduct which is capable of causing nuisance or annoyance to any person and directly or indirectly affects the housing management functions of a relevant landlord
  • conduct, which consists of or involves using or threatening to use housing accommodation owned or managed by a relevant landlord for an unlawful purpose.

Your tenancy agreement also sets out what we describe as unacceptable behaviour.

The types of behaviour that our anti-social behaviour team can deal with as a breach of the tenancy agreement are:

Serious noise nuisance (such as persistent loud music and parties) Violence including domestic violence and other abuse
Intimidation or harassment Alcohol-related nuisance
Threatening language or behaviour Any form of hate crime
Illegal use of the home (such as using, manufacturing or selling drugs in the home)  

We accept that some behaviour may cause disturbance to others but can be reasonably expected within our daily lives. The following behaviour isn't considered to be a breach of the tenancy agreement:

• Noise transference between properties (such as children playing or crying; banging) • Children playing in the garden
• Children falling out • Occasional barbeques

Our commitment to tackling ASB

We want you to feel safe in your home and in your community. To achieve this, we must be effective in tackling the problems caused by anti-social behaviour. We won't tolerate any type of anti-social behaviour and we make this clear to existing tenants and those seeking a tenancy with us.

We'll use all the powers available to us within the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003 and the Housing Act 1996 to ensure that bad behaviour is not allowed to affect your quality of life.

We have a dedicated team who focus solely on tackling anti-social behaviour. The team has signed the Government's Respect Standard for Housing Management. This is built around six core commitments which promote respect for others and tackle the causes of anti-social behaviour. They are:

  • accountability, leadership and commitment
  • empowering and reassuring residents
  • prevention and early intervention
  • tailored services for residents with support for victims and witnesses
  • protecting communities through swift enforcement
  • support to tackle the causes of anti-social behaviour.

Taking positive action

All reports of anti-social behaviour will be acknowledged and an investigation will begin within five working days. If the matter is racially motivated or involves violence then this will be investigated within 24 hours.

We'll work closely with partner agencies such as the police or social services to ensure that you and others involved are given any extra support needed to resolve the problem. This is particularly important where young people are involved.

We offer a non-confrontational approach to resolving some types of neighbour nuisance by involving a mediation service. But when the matter involves violence or racial harassment of any sort, action against perpetrators will include injunctions, eviction proceedings and demotion of tenancy (which will give you less protection against future eviction). Witnesses who come forward will be supported at all times.

If you've reported anti-social behaviour to us, we'll ask you whether you were satisfied with how we dealt with your case. 

Preventing anti-social behaviour

There are a number of things we can do to prevent anti-social behaviour from happening in the first place.

We use ‘starter tenancies’ which last for 12 months. This gives us a chance to see whether new tenants behave well in their home, and can control the behaviour of others who live there and those who visit. If there is bad behaviour, the process for ending the tenancy is much simpler than for other tenants with more secure tenancies. We can also extend a starter tenancy by a further six months if there has been evidence of anti-social behaviour.

We have other positive ways to prevent and tackle anti-social behaviour:

  • referrals to Peterborough mediation service
  • home visits and interviews to intervene early and challenge poor behaviour
  • referrals to the CKH Specialist Intervention team
  • use of Acceptable Behaviour Contracts (ABC’s)
  • referrals to drug and alcohol services, mental health services and social care to address the underlying causes of poor behaviour
  • partnership working with the Safer Peterborough Partnership, including multi-agency action plans which support vulnerable witnesses and tackle perpetrators. 

Absolute Ground for Possession

Following legislation from the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014, the court can grant us possession of a home if a tenant, other member of the household or a person visiting has been convicted of a serious offence, breached an injunction, breached a criminal behaviour order or breached a noise abatement order – at the property or in the locality.

Supporting witnesses

Supporting witnesses is key to any investigation. Our anti-social behaviour team is experienced in offering support to witnesses.

Cases involving hate crime based on race, religion, disability and sexuality

Any cases involving either a racial, religious, disability or sexuality-motivated hate crime (or an incident where the victim believes it to be a hate crime) will be investigated using a partnership arrangement called ‘True Vision’.

This is a victim-centred approach, co-ordinated by agencies including the police and the local authority's hate crime co-ordinator. For more information, visit the True Vision website.

You can also see our Hate Crime Policy

Victims of domestic abuse

We accept that victims of domestic abuse fall within the scope of anti-social behaviour legislation and the victim will be supported at all times by the police family unit and us.

Actions that can be used to tackle anti-social behaviour

We'll use a variety of methods to resolve anti-social behaviour, depending upon the type, severity and circumstances involved.

Community Trigger

The Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014 has brought in an additional measure for people who've been victims of repeated anti-social behaviour. This is known as the 'Community Trigger'.

The Community Trigger makes it easier for victims or those acting on their behalf to ask all the agencies involved in their case to review what action they took, or could have taken, if they're not satisfied with the outcome. To find out more information visit Peterborough City Council's website.

Reporting ASB Online Form


You can use the form below to easily report any anti-social behaviour and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

Report anti-social behaviour

Note: Questions marked by * are mandatory

You can use this form to report incidents of anti social behaviour. Please complete the form as fully as possible to help us to help you as quickly as possible.
  Yes No
Does your complaint involve racial abuse or harassment?
Have you reported your complaint to the police?
I would like Cross Keys Homes to investigate and take appropriate action about my ASB report. I understand that I may need to keep further records or give evidence about events to help the investigation and enable appropriate action to be taken. By pressing 'submit' you agree to this declaration.