Move home

If you already live in one of our homes in Peterborough, you can apply to transfer to another one of our properties.

There are two simple criteria that apply to anyone who wants to move home:

  • Your account must be in credit and free from debt for at least three months, you should not have outstanding debt on any of your accounts with us.
  • Your current home must be in a good condition.

 After you have told us what you are looking for, we will contact you when a home that matches your needs is available. It’s as simple as that.

We have a clear process that we follow which considers factors like the reason you need to move, your health and mobility, the type of home you need and even where in the city you would like to live. Residents who are under-occupying, overcrowding or have medical needs will be given priority. As we have to prioritise people living in unsuitable homes, if you are already living in a home that meets your housing needs, you may be able to find a home sooner by considering a mutual exchange. Find out more about the service in our Property Lettings FAQs.

Please be aware that housing is in short supply. We cannot guarantee we can get you a transfer quickly, especially if you are looking for a large family house or to move to popular areas. We do prioritise people according to need, and so if your current home meets your family’s needs you may have to wait longer. We will ask you to confirm your details every six months to make sure the details we hold reflect your current needs.

Apply to move 

This service is currently only available for homes within Peterborough. If you live in a CKH home in another Local Authority area, you will need to contact us  for permission to transfer to a different home and then apply to your local council to join their housing register. You may want to consider a mutual exchange instead.


Mutual exchange

If you live in one of our homes and need to move, it’s often quicker to swap with someone else who also lives in an affordable home. It’s free to do, just make sure your rent account is up to date and your home is in a good condition. Find out more about  mutual exchange and what you need to know before you apply

Apply for an affordable rented home

Allocations are managed by your local council. We don’t accept applications for rented homes directly.

The council deal with your application and tell you whether you're eligible to rent a home with us. They will explain how to search and apply for homes too. If you want to move to a new area, you’ll need to register with the council in that area.

Register your housing need:

Not sure who your local council is? has a helpful postcode search to find your council